Manchester is a major city located in the northwest of England that is very much popular for its football fan club, Manchester United (ManU). Therefore, do not miss visiting the Old Trafford, being the home for the Manchester United team!
I would suggest that an entire day trip or two is ideal. Personally, I’d think that the city itself may not be too attractive, but I would highly suggest visiting the Old Trafford and I’d bet that you would spend most of your time there!
VISITING THE OLD TRAFFORD IN MANCHESTER!!
This is what Manchester is popular for, by visiting the Old Trafford, home to the popular football fan club, Manchester United (MU)! Well, even if you’re a fan of MU or not, I would suggest visiting the Old Trafford as well to go for its tour!
The tour was worth it but however, we were not allowed to get onto the football field unlike the one in Madrid at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium. Old Trafford gives a classical feeling unlike Santiago Bernabéu Stadium that is very much modernize by its technology.
Overall, it was a good experience in Old Trafford and you may visit Old Trafford – Website for more information. #GGMU
Nearest Tram station: Old Trafford
OTHER OPTIONAL PLACES WORTH VISITING
Manchester Arndale (Shopping Centre)
In Manchester, you may go to Manchester Arndale if you are keen of doing your shopping here. This is one major shopping mall with large glasses at its front.
Nearest Tram station: Market Street; Shudehill or Exchange Square
There is a Chinatown in Manchester too! Well, I’d personally think that there are nothing much compared to the one in London. However, still a good place if you are craving for some Chinese cuisine!
Nearest Tram station: St Peters Square
RECOMMENDED MEANS OF TRANSPORTATION
Going by foot is a good option in Manchester.
Otherwise, you may choose to take the tram to get from one place to another; or you could take the tram to the Old Trafford by getting out at Old Trafford station. Then, you will need to walk about 10 – 15 minutes to the Old Trafford stadium.
You may visit Greater Manchester – Tram Network Map for tram’s network map. Otherwise, you may also visit Transport for Greater Manchester – Website for more information on its ticketing information, and tram schedule.
TYPICAL COSTS AND MONEY SAVING TIPS
- Shared dorm rooms: Starts at GBP55 per pax/night, but GBP75 is average.
I am not too sure about hosteling in Manchester, but there are limited hostels available. Also, I will not recommend staying in a hostel as they can be really expensive!
- Hotel rooms: Starts about GBP40 per night but a room at a 3-star hotel could possibly be about GBP70 – GBP75 at average per night for 2 persons.
Food & Drinks
- Typical restaurant: An average meal could cost about GBP8 – GBP13; and
- Good restaurant: Could start as high as GBP20 – GBP25 for an average meal.
- Outbound Train from Edinburgh (TransPennine Express Railway): You may take this train company departing from Edinburgh’s Waverley railway station to Manchester Piccadilly station which takes about 3 hours 15 minutes journey. The ticket costs about GBP10 – GBP35 for one-way (depending on date, availability, and the season of your visit).
- Outbound Train from London (Virgin Trains Railway): You may take this train company departing from London’s Euston railway station to Manchester Piccadilly station which takes about 2 hours journey. The ticket costs about GBP25 – GBP50 for one-way (depending on date, availability, and the season of your visit).
The Old Trafford may be the only admission fares if you’re visiting Manchester. The fares are ranged between GBP15 – GBP20 per person, depending on ticket type for the tour.
Copyright © | Aspen See
Disclaimer: All the information and prices (as at November 2013) provided on this website are based solely on experience and you agree that you use such information entirely at your own discretion and will.